Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Weddings make me trunky - the weekly email

Bonjour Tout le Monde!
So my first weekend here (Saturday) was the wedding of one of our investigators, AurĂ©lian, and his formerly inactive wife Louise. It was definitely one of the highlights of my mission. It was so cool to watch them get married, and they were just so happy. Happy families and eternal love are really the whole point of this Gospel. There was also an amazing cultural spectacle including traditional food like Bunyam (yams and meat cooked in bannana leaves over hot rocks with coconut milk) as well as performances of Wallisian, Tahitian, and Melanesian dancing. Super super cool stuff. 
So yeah, I'm in Mont Dore. This place is gorgeous. I'm in the same zone as before, but outside of Noumea now. Mont Dore is absolutley gorgeous, think California Redwoods with a South Pacific climate and random palm trees. And the Caldoche and Melanesian cultures. It's gorgeous. I'll try and get some cool pictures of the scenery. The ward here is also super awesome, they give us tons of referrals and help us out with a lot of things. Because of their help we have 10 people on date to be baptized through this month and the next. Exciting stuff here in Mont Dore, and the work goes fast. We also have a car because this sector is HUGE, and I'm driving. It was a little sketch at first, I actually blew a tire my first day driving because I mounted the curb when I was checking behind me for the police, and the roads here are super skinny. It had also been 5 months since I'd driven. But I'm used to it now. 
My new companion is Elder Estall. He's 20 years old, Tahitian, and pretty freaking fantastic. We're getting along well, and our teaching styles go well together. He's bold, but loving, and really easy to understand.
I think that covers most of the big stuff for this past week. So much of missionary work is just the same kind of routine, but then we have stuff like the wedding that remind us why we're really out here. Love you all so much!
Love,
Elder Miner

LOOKING FOR THE POLICE? asks Mom.


Me and Elder Estall on top of a hill on transfer day after lunch

Some Bunyam (yams and meat cooked in bannana leaves over hot rocks with coconut milk) 

FIRE DANCING!!!
(at the wedding)

Us and the newlyweds.

No comments:

Post a Comment